Preparing For Hurricane Season!
If you’re like me, you probably tend to procrastinate when it comes to heeding all the warnings to get ready for hurricane season. Tropical Storm Debbie reminded us recently that it is important to make preparations now for hurricane season! Here are a few friendly reminders and next month we’ll add some more:
- Make sure your property and contents are protected from flood damage! Not all hurricane related damage is from wind. Like Tropical Storm Debbie showed us, much of it can be from flood or rising waters due to lots and lots of rain in a short period of time. For an excellent link on how much damage just a few inches of water can cause, click on FloodSmart.gov website. If your property is not in a high risk area, you may be able to get flood coverage from $129 to $365/year.
- Secure all loose items in your yard such as lawn chairs, garbage cans, and tree limbs.
- Trim tree limbs that overhang your roof because they can cause extensive damage to your house.
- Prepare those emergency supplies such as batteries, cell phone charger, water, medicines, gas for the generator, ect.
- Go to A to Z Insurance website for excellent videos on getting prepared for hurricane season. One video lists projects that take one hour and another video lists projects that can be done in one day.
July 6, 2012